This is the blog of Danish artist Carina Traberg. I work mainly with photo collages made from buildings cut out of hundreds of photos that I have taken at places where I have visited and lived. Click here to go to website.

Photo Collages














Red Tableau
Lambda C-Type print, 46x58cm
Edition of 24



















Safe As Houses
Lambda C-Type print, 46x58cm
Edition of 24
This collage is based on the old wooden buildings of Istanbul, which are so characteristic. I wanted to create a flat place with not much perspective.










The Whole White World
Lambda C-Type print, 46x58cm
Edition of 24
Sometimes the simple ideas are the best ideas. This collage, I made from the thought that I'd be really interested in seeing what it would look like, if I created a city that was made entirely out of white buildings. I also had a mental image of some medieval cities in mind.







A Perfect World
Lambda C-Type print, 46x58cm
Edition of 24
Mostly there's more beauty in imperfection than in perfection and this collage was made with the idea only to use buildings and parts that are dilapidated and patched up by their inhabitants.










Castlemania
Lambda C-Type print, 46x58cm
Edition of 24










Moving The Past
Lambda C-Type print, 90x78cm
Edition of 30



















London vs The Rest Of The World
Lambda C-Type print, 84x72cm
Edition of 30
Until I had made this collages, I had only worked with fairly colourful photos from Istanbul and had my own prejudice that London was a grey place. To prove myself wrong, I set myself a challenge to only work with photos taken from the area where I loved to see if something exiting and interesting could come out of it. And, as it turned out, I proved myself wrong.















Not Just Another Place
Lambda C-Type print, 84x72cm
Edition of 30
















The Journey Begins
Lambda C-Type print, 55x60cm
Edition of 30














The World Takes Over
Lambda C-Type print, 84x72cm
Edition of 30 - Sold Out














Somewhere Beyond The Hills
Lambda C-Type print, 85x80cm
Edition of 30
After making only cityscapes, this collage was a break in that it was my first landscape. I am really happy with the hills, that provided a great challenge because they look so uniform and this gives the landscape a sort of surreal quality that goes well with the real look of the houses.














Silent River
Lambda C-Type print, 50x60cm
Edition of 30
A task was set for me of creating a piece with a river in it, by a person who loves rivers. For me this was an opportunity to create a different sort of more horizontal composition and a challenge in that photos of water have a certain quality that I wanted to include.


















Ny By
Lambda C-Type print, 84x72cm
Edition of 30














How To Find Peace In The City
Lambda C-Type print, 84x72cm
Edition of 30
This collage was made after a visit to Paris, which I found to be a spacious and peaceful city compared to London where I lived at the time. I wanted to work with an idea of trying to create a peaceful green city space whilst using some of the old buildings mixed with a more contemporary style.












Home Is Where The House Is
Lambda C-Type print, 40x45cm
Edition of 30







Stairs To Lead Me Home
Lambda C-Type print, 85x80cm
Edition of 30
I have a great love of labyrinths and spaces that hold great detail, that one can look at many times ad still discover new details, so I wanted to make a place that had many levels connected by stairs and that was really colourful.